The 3-year (6-semester) Master of Computer Applications (MCA) programme of the Department is approved by the All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE).
The MCA programme was designed by the Department of Electronics, Government of India in the early 1980’s as a training programme that would equip graduates to fulfill the increasing demand for software specialists. It was envisaged that the MCA graduates would fill positions of systems analysts, information systems specialists, application programmers and systems engineers. This has worked out to exceed expectations. MCA's are widely accepted today by Indian industry.
The curriculum is designed so as to help students develop strong software competencies and analytical and problem solving abilities – the requisite skills to prepare them for successful careers as software professionals. The course structure and contents are regularly updated. The programme objectives as interpreted at this Institute are as follows. The programme imparts:
1. Knowledge and practice covering various aspects of computer usage in business, industry and service sectors.
2. Skills to candidates to enable them to perform as application systems designers and systems managers, in major areas of computer applications.
Thus the MCA programme here includes:
a) A comprehensive knowledge of systems including their capabilities and limitations
b) An appreciation of the application environment
c) Skills for management of complex software projects, and
d) A sound foundation of quantitative tools and techniques
There are three broad components of the programme:
• Mathematical background for digital computers
• Computers and systems science courses
• Management and behavioral science courses
PGDCA Programme is of one year duration. It is an Add-on course which help the student from different streams in enhancing the knowledge of software and computer.